Sunday, June 13, 2010

Like Me Too

I have decided that my next mission in life is to make Chely Wright fall in love with me.


I have not yet figured out how to make this happen, but it will. Oh yes, it will.

The newly-out country singer has written a book and recorded an album, titled "Like Me" and "Lifted Off the Ground," respectively. (Go buy them. Seriously. Worth it.)

After reading the book, listening to the album, and watching her string of completely charming video blogs on YouTube, I am more than a little smitten. She is undeniably beautiful (she looks like one of those people who is beautiful even when her makeup is off and her hair is a mess) and undeniably brave, being the first openly gay artist in a field notorious for its' intolerance.


And, more than that, her story is quite a bit like mine. Gay woman in a Republican-dominated industry (just who do you think makes up the donor pool for opera houses, hmm?), in a relationship with another closeted, married woman, had romantic and sexual relationships with men while being aware of her sexuality and feeling like a jerk because of it, and generally having to hide for whatever reason.

Add in the fact that I now know how to play two chords on the guitar and you can see that we are a perfect match.

...

...

Okay, maybe I'm kidding myself.

(Maybe, Rach? More like definitely. She is waaaaay out of your league.)

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but it sure does feel good to have a crush, albeit an impossible one. The fact that Chely is definitely gay and definitely not married puts her two points ahead of my ex, so I will count that as progress. I am growing as a person.

Chely Wright. Patriot. Philanthropist. Singer. Songwriter. Artist. First-class human being. The future love of my life.

(She just doesn't know that last one yet.)

No comments: