Now is the winter of our discontent.
- Richard III, Act I, scene 1
Well... not exactly.
It's summer. And the discontent isn't ours, exactly, it's mine. But you get the point. There is a season and somebody is unhappy.
(I know that's not the meaning in the actual play. Just go with me, here.)
Five days ago, I was dumped by my girlfriend of a year. For a man.
There are more details that make her sound less like a villain, but that is her story to tell, not mine. In my story, all that matters is that she chose a man over me.
Hence, discontent.
I thought she was the love of my life and that I would spend forever kissing her mouth and poking fun at the slightly OCD way she took off her makeup.
Instead, I am living with my parents in the Chicago suburbs wondering what the hell I'm going to do with my life, now that her mouth and her OCD are out of the equation.
...
I'll let you know when I figure that one out.
I think that is what this blog is about. Figuring it out.
I'm starting a new chapter in my life. I am done with college. I am done with my relationship. I am done trying to be straight because society thinks I "should" be.
I am a lesbian.
I am single.
I am a musician.
I am an adult.
And I am terrified.
BUT
Do you know how the phrase ends? Now is the winter of our discontent?
Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious by the sun of York.
I means that the unhappy times are past. And in that, there is hope. Maybe not for Richard III, but there is for me.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment